October 07, 2012

Rider Bio - Jeff Dickey





        Racing Age in 2012
        36

        Height/Weight
        5’8” – 165lbs

        Hometown
        Gilmanton, New Hampshire

        Current Location
        Arlington, Virginia

        Job
        Attorney/Federal Agent/Investigator

        Favorite Trail
        Locally, the Montgomery County Epic Loop; Outside of the Mid-Atlantic, just about anything in Colorado

        Favorite Race
        While it’s no longer in existance, the 24 Hours of Canaan was my favorite race.  Currently, my favorite event is the Breckenridge 100 – incredible singletrack and a great vacation!

        Best Race Result
        2007 Master’s Short Track National Champion

        Mountain Bike Advocacy (trail work, rider leader, etc)
        Working on local trails in the VA/MD area

        Helmet
        Limar Carbon Ultralight – the lightest helmet in the world!  It fits great and just disappears on your head.

        Glasses
        My current favorites are my Optic Nerve Quazeye.  They have red mirrored lenses that work great in all light conditions and reduce eye fatigue

        Shoes
        Scott MTB Team Carbon Shoe.  Incredibly comfortable, yet stiff.  They feel like slippers on my feet.

        Other items you ride with
        I always ride with my Prestaratchet mini-ratchet tool.  It’s very lightweight and gets into spots that other tools can’t.  For bigger rides, I’ll bring along a Crankbrothers Multi-17 for even more tools.  I also have a Genuine Innovations Ultrainflate that accepts both threaded and unthreaded (bb gun cartridges).  It’s never let me down.
Bike:

        Frame/Size
        Scott Scale 29er RC – Size Medium

        Fork
        RockShox SID XX with a 15mm Thru Axle – it tracks great, has lots of tuning options and is light

        Headset
        Ritchey Pro

        Front Derailleur
        SRAM XX – I added a piece of an ESI grip to the top of the cage and zip tied it in place to fill up the extra space so my chain doesn’t bounce off the big ring.

        Rear Derailleur
        SRAM XX – Awesome design that lets me run big/big chainring combinations

        Shifters
        SRAM XX

        Brakes
        SRAM XX World Cup

        Crankset and gearing
        SRAM XX – 39x26 gearing (perfect for a 29er) – with Crankskins crank protective tape (necessary for carbon crankarms)

        Handlebar
        Truvative World Cup – I’ve used these for several years and keep using them becuase I’m comfortable on them and the sweep angle fits what I need for a proper bike fit

        Grips
        ESI Racer’s Edge – By far the best grips available.  Look at any of the photos of racers in World Cup events and most are using these grips.  There are many a reasons why.  They reduce hand fatigue from vibration, are grippy even when wet, and don’t spin on the bars.

        Stem
        Ritchey WCS C260 80mm – It’s a new design this year that prevents overclamping lightweight carbon handlebars (and it’s only 103 grams)

        Pedals
        Crankbrothers Eggbeater 11 – I started using these pedals last fall in cyclocross and was impressed with how well they worked.  I had used another brand of pedals for nearly 10 years, but I’m glad I made the switch

        Saddle
        Fizik Gobi 00 – Braided Carbon rails – Very lightweight, but still very durable and comfortable

        Hubs
        Stan’s 330 – Stock hubs on Stan’s Gold wheelset – I can switch axle sizes in minutes on these wheels and accommodate different bikes
        I also use a PowerTap Disc rear wheel with a Stan’s Crest rim for training to monitor power.  I’ve used wattage as a training tool on my road bike for multiple years and it’s good to keep following it on my mtb.


        Chain
        KMC X10SL – Gold – If you’re using another brand of chain, you’re paying too much for inferior quality.  Plus, the gold color looks awesome.

        Cassette and gearing
        SRAM XX – 12-36 cassette – Lightweight and durable

        Rims
        Stan’s Crest 29 – Lightweight all year round wheels

        Tires
        Continental X-King Protection 29x2.2 – Durable, fast rolling and set up tubeless very easily

        Water Bottle Cages
        Arundel – I’ve never lost a bottle out of one of these cages

        Extras
        I use a Simple Strap from ByeKyle to attach my CO2 canisters and spare tube to my seatpost.  It’s a lightweight and efficient means of attachment and I’ve never lost a tube.  Plus, you can use the strap to cinch things down if you ever are in trouble in the woods (like a cut sidewall – a frieind got himself out of the woods by clamping down his tire after he cut open a sidewall)

        Total Bike Weight
        21 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment