April 18, 2012

Greenbrier Trail Work Day

On April 15, the day after this past weekend's 13 hour Baker's Dozen race, Mike and I headed to Greenbrier State Park to do some trail work with the Mid-Atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts (MORE) to get things ready for the upcoming Greenbrier Challenge on April 29.

I wasn't very coherent during the trail work, mostly because I was running on 4 hours of sleep and a major calorie deficit.  Luckily, the trail work organizers brought tons of sugary doughnuts - I ate a lot...
Yum, doughnuts!
We headed out into the woods to trim back huge brier patches that were threatening to engulf the trails, build some waterbars and create better run off for streams.  It was about 4 hours of work, just enough for me for the day.

The trail crew
Mike hacking away at briers


Building some new waterbars to divert rainflow on a steep section of trail
I was surprised how good my legs felt especially given the long race the day before.  I want to attribute it to the Medilast Recovery Socks I was wearing.  My legs felt as if I hadn't raced at all the day before (my head and lungs were a different matter - if I'd gotten on a bike, I might have fallen asleep while riding).
Jeff sleepwalking
It was good to work on the trails and I hope everyone enjoys the rocks, roots, streams and lots of climbing the race will bring!

- Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment